By Matthew Bunson
The Roman Empire is understood for its terribly wealthy cultural legacy. This encyclopaedia presents finished and interdisciplinary assurance of the folks, areas, occasions and ideas of this extraordinary interval. Spanning nearly 500 years of turmoil and triumph, all the approximately 2000 entries during this moment version has been reviewed and up-to-date to mirror advances in archaeology, old and literary feedback, and social research. New entries were additional on everyday life, engineering, technological know-how, legislations and the function of girls in Roman society, between others. Complementing those old essays are photos, maps, tables and sidebars; studying lists for significant entries; an up-to-date bibliography; and a revised index.
By DK Publishing
Retail pdf from OverDrive
Looking on the expertise throughout us-and then explaining the way it works, the How issues paintings Encyclopedia lifts the hood of a motor vehicle engine, will get within a television set, and discovers the ability of invisible microwaves. With close-ups, cutaways, and diagrams bringing the know-how to existence, and timelines illustrating the improvement of innovations, difficult interest quizzes and engaging proof, the How issues paintings Encyclopedia shall we youngsters quite see and comprehend what's occurring within.
This up to date encyclopedia presents prepared info on all elements of capital punishment in the US. It information almost each capital punishment determination rendered by means of the U.S. very best court docket via 2006, together with greater than forty instances determined seeing that book of the 1st variation. Entries also are supplied for every ultimate courtroom Justice who has ever rendered a capital punishment opinion. Entries on jurisdictions cite present-day demise penalty legislation and judicial constitution kingdom by means of nation, with synopses of universal and particular positive factors. additionally incorporated are entries on major U.S. capital prosecutions; felony ideas and approaches in capital instances; organisations that help and oppose capital punishment; capital punishment's influence on individuals of African, Asian, Hispanic, and local American descent, on ladies, and on international nationals; and the equipment of execution. crucial evidence also are supplied on capital punishment in additional than 2 hundred different countries. A wealth of statistical information is located all through.
By Ellen Judy Wilson
Encyclopedia of the Enlightenment offers the 1st A-to-Z assurance of this significant period. Conceived and written as some degree of departure for somebody -- scholar or normal reader -- who needs to come across this awesome age, the encyclopedia offers huge insurance of common subject matters equivalent to technological know-how, schooling, artwork and structure, aesthetics, and tune, that are complemented by means of shorter entries protecting particular options and participants.
By Wolfgang Donsbach
This concise quantity offers key strategies and entries from the twelve-volume ICA International Encyclopedia of Communication (2008), condensing top scholarship right into a sensible and helpful unmarried volume.
- Based at the definitive twelve-volume IEC, this new concise variation offers key strategies and the main suitable headwords of conversation technology in an A-Z layout in an up to date manner
- Jointly released with the overseas conversation organization (ICA), the major educational organization of the self-discipline within the world
- Represents the easiest and most modern foreign examine during this dynamic and interdisciplinary field
- Contributions come from 1000s of authors who symbolize excellence of their respective fields
- An cheap quantity to be had in print or online
By M. Keith Booker
The technological know-how Fiction Handbook deals a finished and obtainable survey of 1 of the literary world's such a lot interesting genres.
- Includes separate old surveys of key subgenres together with time-travel narratives, post-apocalyptic and post-disaster narratives and works of utopian and dystopian technology fiction
- Each subgenre survey comprises an intensive record of correct severe readings, prompt novels within the subgenre, and instructed movies appropriate to the subgenre
- Features entries on a couple of key technological know-how fiction authors and broad dialogue of significant technology fiction novels or sequences
- Writers and works contain Isaac Asimov; Margaret Atwood; George Orwell; Ursula ok. Le Guin; The conflict of the Worlds (1898); Starship Troopers (1959); Mars Trilogy (1993-6); and lots of more
- A 'Science Fiction thesaurus' completes this fundamental Handbook
Download E-books The International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest: 1500 to the Present, Volumes 1-8 PDF
By Immanuel Ness
This definitive 8-volume reference is a entire print source protecting the historical past of protest and revolution over the last 500 years – in the course of the smooth period of mass hobbies. for additional information see www.revolutionprotestencyclopedia.com.
* Definitive reference paintings at the function of well known organization in reworking the realm within which we live
* First historic encyclopedia to supply students and academics and scholars with the data they should comprehend the function and importance and beginning of protest and revolution from 1500 to the present
* 8-volume significant reference in A-Z layout, with entries starting from 500 to 14,000 words
* presents transparent, concise reasons of occasions and bigger social events, and biographies of key people
* offers significant uprisings and protest hobbies, and the tips, ideologies and activists that propelled them, chronicles the style within which they opened up, strains their roots, pursuits, strategies, and impact, and evaluates their successes and failures
* the world over different editorial board and contributors
* contains over a hundred and fifty images, figures, and maps
An on-line electronic version can be to be had (ISBN 978-1-4051-9807-3). as well as the beneficial properties of the print model, the net model provides:* general revisions and new entries – up-to-date as soon as a year
* hyperlinks to entire assortment via Blackwell Reference online
* hyperlinks to different assets on hand at the web
* strong looking, shopping, and cross-referencing services, together with Open URL linking
Download E-books The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Hidden History: The Ultimate A-Z of Ancient Mysteries, Lost Civilizations and Forgotten Wisdom PDF
By John Michael Greer
Subsequent within the renowned point Encyclopedia sequence, comes the total A-Z of different heritage. observe every thing you ever desired to find out about mystery societies just like the Freemasons, the old secret of Atlantis, why King Arthur, Leonardo da Vinci and Hitler are key figures, plus conspiracy theories, forgotten sciences and historic knowledge. an entire and informative A-Z for essentially the most renowned genres to have emerged in recent years - the hidden background of the final 10,000 years. This encyclopedia solutions your whole questions about the extra arguable topics being debated: * Conspiracies and mystery societies, e.g. Knights Templars, the Rosicrucians, the Freemasons, the Bavarian Illuminati, the Hellfire membership, the Ku Klux Klan, and the Priory of Sion. it's also mystery traditions, hidden bloodlines, extraterrestrial intervention, impending apocalypse, and the Mayan calendar prophecies. * historic knowledge and forgotten sciences, e.g. alchemy, prophecy, sacred geometry, ley traces, and magic, in addition to helping proof for complicated applied sciences in precedent days e.g. the mysteries of Stonehenge and the good Pyramids. * Unsolved ancient mysteries, e.g. the site of Atlantis, the early historical past of Christianity, the Holy Grail, the destiny of the Knights Templars, the authorship of Shakespeare's performs, the motives of the French Revolution, and the occult roots of Nazism. * Key figures in hidden historical past - Pythagoras, Jesus of Nazareth, Leonardo da Vinci, King Arthur, Roger Bacon, John Dee, Alessandro Cagliostro, the Comte de St.-Germain, Benjamin Franklin, and Adolf Hitler.
This moment variation offers quick access to big suggestions, concerns and know-how traits within the box of multimedia applied sciences, platforms, options, and functions. Over 1,100 heavily-illustrated pages ― together with eighty new entries ― current concise overviews of all points of software program, platforms, internet instruments and that permit video, audio and constructing media to be shared and introduced electronically.
This replace to the critically-acclaimed first variation offers in 2 volumes comprehensible but precise details on psychological problems and stipulations. that includes an easy-to-use structure and written in non-technical language, the Encyclopedia comprises entries for all one hundred fifty problems categorized within the Diagnostic and Statistical guide of psychological problems, textual content revision (DSM-IV-TR). It additionally good points entries for prescription, replacement and over the counter medicinal drugs, in addition to a number of the remedies used to regard psychological problems.